Low-carb living shouldn't mean eating bacon, cold cuts, and high-fat cheese for every meal! If you are looking to reduce carbs, focus on cutting "bad carbs" (eg. highly processed grains, refined sugar, fruit juice, etc.). Download our complete low carb living guide!
• Eggs baked in avocado halves
• Smoothie made with shelled hemp hearts, flax seeds, all-natural unsweetened almond milk, and a handful of blueberries
• Plain Greek yogurt with pomegranate seeds and hazelnuts
• Omelet with shrimp, sautéed Portobello mushrooms, fresh thyme, and goat cheese
• Homemade muesli of unsweetened coconut flakes, cinnamon, ginger, natural peanut butter, pistachios, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, and sesame seeds topped with plain Greek yogurt or cottage cheese
• Crustless quiche (with eggs and whole milk) with a cucumber and avocado salad
• Burrito bowl with shredded lettuce, grilled chicken or fish, shredded cheddar, jalapeno peppers, fresh tomato salsa, and guacamole
• Dark leafy greens (arugula, spinach, or kale) with a scoop of egg salad or tuna salad (made with avocado instead of mayo)
• Grain free wraps (made with chia-seeds, eggs, and cheese), filled with grilled fish, grilled veggies, and arugula
• Wild salmon sashimi with a side wakame salad
• Baby shrimp caprese salad – baby shrimp, sliced cherry tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, fresh basil, and olive oil
• Homemade low-carb granola with chopped almonds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, chia seeds, orange zest, shredded unsweetened coconut, cinnamon, vanilla, and almond butter
• Soaked cashew “hummus” with crudités
• Avocado deviled eggs with a side of kale chips
• Shrimp or chicken stir-fry with broccolini, sesame seeds, and pine nuts
• Zucchini noodles with homemade pesto, wild mushrooms, and seared sea scallops
• Mussels cooked in white wine, chicken or vegetable broth, leeks, and lots of garlic
• Oil-poached halibut with Brussels sprout and snap pea slaw topped with pistachios, sesame oil and grated ginger
• Rosemary chicken with tahini-roasted cauliflower, garlic, and lemon
• Almond butter cups - Filling: all-natural almond butter and coconut flour. Outer coating: 85% dark-chocolate.
• Avocado-lime cheesecake - Crust: ground soaked nuts, pureed dates, and butter. Filling: avocados, lime zest, lime juice, natural stevia extract, and vanilla.
• Marscapone sundae - A few tablespoons of marscapone cheese topped with fresh berries, chopped nuts, and lemon zest
• Chocolate “fudge” - Cream cheese, unsweetened cocoa powder, all natural liquid stevia or pureed apricots for sweetness, and melted 85-90% dark chocolate (blended and refrigerated)
For low carb recipes and healthy low carb meal planning advice, contact Jessica Tong Jessica.Tong@medisys.ca, Medisys registered dietitian.