The sweet potato is an extremely versatile vegetable which has been studied for its anti-cancer, antidiabetic, and anti-inflammatory properties. Click here to read more about the medicinal properties of sweet potato. The only problem with sweet potatoes is the time it takes to bake them!
Toasting your sweet potato in the toaster is much faster than roasting it in the oven. Two times down in the toaster and you are ready to chow down.
HOW TO MAKE SWEET POTATO 'TOAST':
- 1 Sweet Potato / Yam
- Toppings of choice: peanut butter, banana, egg, avocado, sautéed peppers, cheese, salsa, goat cheese and dried cranberries, Greek yogurt with pomegranates
- Wash the outside of the sweet potato. You will be leaving the skin on, so you want to ensure that it is clean.
- Cut the sweet potato into ¼ inch slices (discard the first slice that has one side covered in skin)
- Set toaster at the highest setting, and toast sweet potato slices for two rounds. Toast a third time if needed. If you do not want to toast, feel free to bake the cut sweet potato on 400 F for 20-25 min
- Finish your sweet potato toasts with all your favourite toppings. Experiment making sweet and savoury toasts. You can enjoy these breakfast, lunch, dinner, or dessert!