Even if you are not a kale lover, you'll like this keto-diet friendly kale side dish. Interested in learning more about the keto diet? Click here.
Kale has nearly 3 grams of protien and 2.5 grams of fibre per cup (raw) and is chalk full of vitamins A, C, K, and folate. Kale also contains lutein and zeaxanthin, nutrients that give kale its deep, dark green coloring and protect against macular degeneration and cataracts. If that wasn't enough, kale is also packed with phosphorus, potassium, calcium, and zinc! Want more healthy recipes? Download our free recipe book.
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sesame oil
- 5 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 8 cups(2 L) kale, washed and trimmed, stems removed and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) water
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) coarse sea salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup dry roasted walnuts (unsalted)
- 1 tbsp unsweetened dried cranberries (optional)
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat; add garlic and sauté for one minute.
- Add kale, water, red wine vinegar, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to skillet.
- Cover and steam for 10 to 12 minutes, or until kale is wilted and tender.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately topped with walnuts (and dried cranberries if using)
Spread health, share this post!