Did you know that eating an excess of just 150 Calories a day can lead to 15 pounds a year of weight gain? Read the Medisys takeout lunch guide to find out how your lunch order stacks up. Looking for more health tips? Sign up for our newsletter here! Simple substitutions in your takeout lunch order can have a huge impact on total Calories consumed, and on your waistline! Making your own lunch is typically the best way to go - this way you can control what you eat.
When you need to rely on eating out, try these tips to keep your meal from becoming a complete calorie, sugar, and sodium bomb:
- Choose grilled versus fried meats or fish
- Order dressings on the side and choose oil and vinegar over creamy or sugary dressings
- Choose options like mustard, salsa, lemon juice, lime juice, or balsamic vinegar instead of creamy and sugary sauces or condiments like ketchup, BBQ sauce, Caesar dressing, or ranch dressing
- Limit sodium by avoiding heavily processed/cured meats, processed cheese, and pickled veggies
- Pile on as many veggies as you can whenever possible (many food chains like PitaPit, Mucho Burrito, or Subway Sandwiches will let you turn wraps, pitas, or burritos into salad bowls)
- Choose salad or steamed veggies over French fries as your side, and when salad isn’t an option, skip the side altogether
- Choose the 1/2 size portion
- Choose still or sparkling water as your beverage – the extra, empty calories from pop, juice, and alcohol can really add up!
- Read online nutrition information before dining out
Concerned about your health? Click here or on the button below.