For the foodies on your holiday list, try a DIY healthy edible treat. Complement the gift with a cookbook or cooking class if you like. Our favourite healthy edible gift ideas include:
- Homemade granola
- Infused oil or butter
- Dry soup mix ingredients
- Homemade jam or chutney (try making them without refined sugar)
- Homemade spice mix
- Gingerbread loaf
- Dips like hummus and salsa
- Homemade soups
Gingerbread Granola Recipe
This recipe is gluten-free, vegan and can be stored in the pantry for 2-3 weeks or in the freezer for 3 months.
Author: Minimalist Baker
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Servings: 10 (1/2-cup servings)
- 3 1/4 cups rolled oats (GF for gluten-free eaters)
- 1 3/4 cups raw mixed nuts (try almonds, pecans, hazelnuts, and a few walnuts)
- 3 Tbsp organic cane sugar (or substitute extra molasses or maple syrup mixed in with wet ingredients)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 pinch ground cloves (optional)
- 1/4 cup coconut or olive oil
- 1/3 cup maple syrup (or less)
- 2 Tbsp molasses
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
Get more healthy recipes from our team of registered dietitians.
- Preheat oven to 325°F (162° C).
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- In a small saucepan over medium low heat, warm the coconut oil, maple syrup, molasses and vanilla extract. Pour over the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Spread the mixture evenly onto a large baking sheet and bake for 18–22 minutes, stirring near the halfway point to ensure even cooking. The coconut oil will help this granola crisp up nicely, but be sure to watch it carefully as it browns quickly.
- Once the granola is visibly browned (about 19 minutes), remove from the oven and let cool completely on the pan before storing. Keep in a container that has an air-tight seal and it should keep for a few weeks.