Plain Greek yogurt is packed with protein and calcium, it's also a good source of riboflavin, phosphorus and vitamin B12. Easier to digest that milk, yogurt may be also tolerated by those who are lactose intolerant. Looking for more ways to use plain Greek yogurt? Try our Jalapeño Greek Yogurt Southwestern Sauce - great for grain bowls, shrimp salads, green salads, or fish tacos.
Looking for dietitian-approved recipe ideas? Download our free digital recipe book.
Jalapeño Greek Yogurt Southwestern Sauce
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp honey (optional)
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp minced garlic
Juice of 1 lime
1/2 jalapeño, finely diced
Spice Mix: 2 tsp chili powder, 1/8 tsp garlic powder, 1/8 tsp onion powder, 1/8 tsp dried oregano, 1/4 tsp ground cumin
Salt, to taste and if needed
Whisk the dressing ingredients together, except for the salt. Taste, then add salt to your preference.
Top your Next Grain Bowl with Jalapeño Greek Yogurt Southwestern Sauce
Grain bowls are a simple easy meal for a quick dinner or to pack for a weekday lunch. The combinations of ingredients are limitless, and the bowls can be as simple or elaborate as you wish. To build a grain bowl, follow the equation and let your imagination run wild!
Basic Grain Bowl Equation:
- 1/2 Cup Cooked Whole Grains: Brown rice, quinoa, barley, or a combination etc. Extra cooked grains can be stored in the freezer and defrosted when needed. *Don't go overboard on grain portions.
- 2 Cups Cooked or Raw Veggies: Try a combination of textures (chopped, grated, julienned), colours, and cooking methods (raw, steamed, sautéed, roasted).
- 1/2 Cup Protein: Choose a plant-based or meat protein source (or a combination) like chickpeas, kidney beans, navy beans, black beans, lentils, tofu or tempeh. Alternatively, choose an animal-based protein like eggs, chicken, fish or beef. Looking to ramp up your protein intake? Try our healthy low-carb diet guide.
- 2 Tablespoons Sauce: You can dress your healthy grain bowl meal with a simple mixture of olive oil, lemon juice, and a splash of soy sauce. To mix things up, try one of our nutritious and mouth-watering sauce recipes.
- 2 Tablespoons Toppings: Sprinkle with toasted unsalted nuts, seeds, chopped green onions, fresh chopped herbs, or feta cheese.
Bringing it all Together:
- Spoon 1/2 cup grains in a bowl.
- Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of sauce.
- Load on veggies and protein.
- Drizzle on another tablespoon of sauce and then sprinkle with toppings.
More Greek Yogurt Based Recipes you Might Like
Spread health. Share this post!