According to research conducted by the University of Montreal, 48.3 per cent of Canadians’ daily caloric intake comes from ultra-processed foods including refined sugar. It also notes that children aged nine to 13 are the largest consumers of refined sugar and other nutritionally lacking products, which account for 57 per cent of their daily calories. Source: https://globalnews.ca/news/3898015/canada-kids-processed-food/ Trying to cut sugar? Join the 30 Day No Refined Sugar Challenge.
Want to pack your kids a little treat for tomorrow's lunch that is wholesome too? Plunge into memories of your childhood with these homemade mango fruit roll ups.
- 2-3 ripe, juicy, fresh mangoes
- Preheat oven to 175ºF and line two cooking plates with parchment paper.
- Puree 2-3 mangoes (900g) using a food processor or blender until smooth.
- In a large saucepan, reduce the mashed mangoes into a compote, about 30 minutes, stirring often to prevent the mixture from sticking. The preparation should become thick and sticky. (This step will eliminate excess water from the mangoes.)
- Lay the mixture on the cooking trays lined with parchment paper. Spread as evenly as possible (there must be no transparent areas), not more than 3mm in height. Put in the oven for a period of 3 1/2 to 4 hours. The rollers are ready when touched the purée is still sticky but does not remain on the finger.
- Remove the plates from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Place a sheet of waxed paper on the mixture and spill the preparation. If the puree is well cooked, the parchment paper will be removed by itself. If you see that mashed mangoes remain stuck, put the plates back into the oven for about 30 minutes (without the waxed paper).
- Transfer the puree leaf to a cutting board. Cut the sides with scissors since they are more baked, being thinner than the center.
- Make strips of the desired width then roll them in a waxed paper lanyard leaving the waxed paper to protrude at the ends of the strips.
Love recipes? Download our free digital healthy recipe book.