Balancing our blood sugar plays an important role in keeping our mood stabilized. Blood sugar levels naturally rise and fall when we eat, but we want to support our bodies by promoting gradual rising and falling, as opposed to drastic spikes and drops.
This super simple homemade dark chocolate bark will satisfy your sweet tooth while combining important macronutrients like healthy fat from coconut oil and nuts, plant-based protein from hemp hearts and carbohydrates from dried fruits.
Enjoy this treat straight from the freezer — it melts fast!
Vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, dairy-free, can be nut-free
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts
- 1/2 cup toppings of choice: chopped nuts or seeds (almonds, walnuts, pistachios, sunflower seeds), dried fruit (cranberries, blueberries, mangos, apricot), coconut flakes
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper
- Melt the coconut oil in the microwave for 40-60 seconds, stirring every 15 seconds
- Stir in the cocoa powder and maple syrup
- Stir in the hemp hearts and half of the other toppings
- Pour the mixture onto the prepared tray, spreading it thinly and evenly
- Sprinkle the rest of toppings and the sea salt evenly on top of the mixture
- Place on a flat surface in the freezer to set for about 30 minutes (until rock solid), then remove and break into pieces
- Store pieces in a freezer-safe container in the freezer
Get your free copy of the Medisys #StayHome Recipe Guide featuring 13 pandemic-friendly recipes designed by our dietitians, plus grocery shopping and food storage tips!