Tahini is made from ground toasted sesame seeds. It is a source of selenium, a mineral important for immunity, thyroid function and protecting cells against free radical damage. Tahini also provides calcium, iron, copper and cholesterol-lowering phytochemicals. Looking to boost your health? Try our 4 week micronutrient challenge. Tahini sauce is great on grain bowls, grilled cauliflower, grilled root veggies, green salads, and eggplant-based dishes. Try our simple tahini sauce recipe below.
Looking for dietitian-approved recipe ideas? Download our free digital recipe book.
Simple Tahini Sauce
1/2 cup store-bought tahini
1/4 tsp sea salt, plus more to taste
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 cup warm water, plus more to thin, as needed
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice (to taste)
- Add ingredient to a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add water a little at a time, continuing to whisk, until you have a creamy, pourable sauce.
- Stir in lemon juice.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Tahini is meant to be the prominent flavor, but add garlic powder for more garlic flavor or sea salt for saltiness.
Top your Next Grain Bowl with Tahini Sauce
Grain bowls are a simple easy meal for a quick dinner or to pack for a weekday lunch. The combinations of ingredients are limitless, and the bowls can be as simple or elaborate as you wish. To build a grain bowl, follow the equation and let your imagination run wild!
Basic Grain Bowl Equation:
- 1/2 Cup Cooked Whole Grains: Brown rice, quinoa, barley, or a combination etc. Extra cooked grains can be stored in the freezer and defrosted when needed. *Don't go overboard on grain portions.
- 2 Cups Cooked or Raw Veggies: Try a combination of textures (chopped, grated, julienned), colours, and cooking methods (raw, steamed, sautéed, roasted).
- 1/2 Cup Protein: Choose a plant-based or meat protein source (or a combination) like chickpeas, kidney beans, navy beans, black beans, lentils, tofu or tempeh. Alternatively, choose an animal-based protein like eggs, chicken, fish or beef. Looking to ramp up your protein intake? Try our healthy low-carb diet guide.
- 2 Tablespoons Sauce: You can dress your healthy grain bowl meal with a simple mixture of olive oil, lemon juice, and a splash of soy sauce. To mix things up, try one of our nutritious and mouth-watering sauce recipes.
- 2 Tablespoons Toppings: Sprinkle with toasted unsalted nuts, seeds, chopped green onions, fresh chopped herbs, or feta cheese.
Bringing it all Together:
- Spoon 1/2 cup grains in a bowl.
- Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of sauce.
- Load on veggies and protein.
- Drizzle on another tablespoon of sauce and then sprinkle with toppings.
Other Recipes you Might Like
Spread health. Share this post!