As yummy as mashed potatoes are – with all that added cream and butter, your mashed-potato recipe often packs a lot more calories, carbohydrates, and saturated fat than you bargained for! Mashed cauliflower is a wonderful substitute for mashed potatoes. Cauliflower is a good source of vitamin C, vitamin K, dietary fiber, vitamin B6, folate, pantothenic acid, potassium and manganese! Cauliflower is also naturally low in carbohydrates.
Beyond being packed with vitamins and minerals, cruciferous vegetables like cauliflower are famous for their high concentration of a class of cancer-fighting chemicals called "glucosinolates". This creamy, naturally low-carbohydrate garlic mashed cauliflower recipe offers all of the savory richness of traditional mashed potatoes without the added saturated fat, carbs, and excess calories.
• 8 cups bite-size cauliflower florets (about 1 head)
• 4 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
• 1/3 cup buttermilk (or vegetable stock, if looking for a vegan option)
• 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
• 1 teaspoon butter (optional)
• 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
• Freshly ground pepper to taste
• Snipped fresh chives for garnish
1. Place cauliflower florets and garlic in a steamer basket over boiling water, cover and steam until very tender, 12 to 15 minutes. (Alternatively, place florets and garlic in a microwave-safe bowl with 1/4 cup water, cover and microwave on high for 3 to 5 minutes.)
2. Dry the cauliflower to remove excess water and place the cooked cauliflower and garlic in a food processor. Add buttermilk, 2 teaspoons oil, butter, salt and pepper; pulse several times, then process until smooth and creamy. For a thicker consistency, strain and discard excess water using a cheesecloth-lined sieve.
3. Transfer to a serving bowl or baking dish. Drizzle with the remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil and garnish with chopped chives, if desired. Serve hot (can reheat in the oven).
Recipe adapted from: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/248887/creamyBy Nadia Leblanc Pagie, Registered Dietitian, Ottawa mashed-cauliflower/