If lunchtime during the COVID-19 pandemic has morphed into a steady stream of snacks consumed “al-desko”,
you’re not alone. Being thrust into working from home, in the midst of a stressful time, perhaps with kids running around nearby, can be a recipe for chaos. But it only takes a little awareness and forethought to get back on track.
Follow this simple guide to assemble the perfect #WFH lunch, packed with nutrients and staying power:
Move away from your workstation, and commit to eating lunch elsewhere.
Do you have leftovers from last night’s dinner? If so, proceed to Step 3 for The Easy Route. If not, proceed to Step 4.
The Easy Route = leftover toast. Toast a slice of multigrain bread and top it with re-heated stir fry, fajita mix, chopped grilled chicken or other protein, a diced burger patty, etc. Add sliced avocado and a crack of sea salt or grated cheese. Now proceed to Step 7.
No leftovers? Prepare a well-balanced plate or bowl, starting with a protein:
- Canned tuna or salmon mixed with lemon, mayo or olive oil
- Diced chicken or turkey
- Drained, rinsed and seasoned canned chickpeas or black beans
- Hardboiled eggs
Add a healthy fat:
- Sliced avocado with a crack of sea salt
- Nuts and/or seeds
- Grated or cubed cheese
Add a healthy grain:
- Slice of multigrain toast on the side
- Cooked brown rice or quinoa as the base
- Whole grain pasta or soba noodles as the base
- Rice crackers on the side
Add any vegetable:
- Add any roasted, raw or frozen then thawed vegetable as a side or on top of your bowl.
Add a side of fruit:
- Add any fresh or frozen fruit on the side.